What Visayans think of people from Manila?

(Two Visayan mestizas drinking iced coffee)


Hambogon sa Cebuano, Mayabang sa tagalog, that's how most of us Visayans stereotype folks from Manila. I grew up in Masbate the south most part of Luzon but I always considered myself as Visayan and I'm proud of it.

In 2006 graduated from high school and went to Manila to study college. I was surprised how different a 17 year old from Manila behaved, they were more open about  sex and had an air of arrogance when they talk, they were brash and shallow. What's more surprising is the worst of them came from catholic schools with saints attached to their school names (e.g Saint Francis, Don Bosco, St.Stephen), sorry, I'm sure these schools want to produce the best students and their are many students who came out of catholic school that turned out great,however the people I encountered definitely left a bad taste in my mouth.

My co-workers have no clue I came from the Visayas so they'd usually say expressions like "Bisaya amputa" or "tang ina Bisaya"   I'm quite offended by these expressions to be frank, most Manilenos would also brand us Visayans as security guards, domestic helpers, janitors and other blue collar jobs, now these jobs are honest and respectable but it's completely false! The late Miriam Santiago, most probably the most brilliant public servant we had was from Ilo-ilo, that's right. She's from Visayas!

So please if you're one of those Manileños who act like a complete braggart when you're in the province STOP. You're making a fool of yourself and making the Manileños look bad.

Comments